Thanks to the advances in technology, improved services are being provided in the field of dentistry. Traditional options are being enhanced and newer options are also being offered to cater to the specific needs and preferences of many—for instance, orthodontics. This particular field has been available for many years, and now patients have several selections to choose from.
While the traditional option is still available, there are now other methods that promise to provide the same outstanding results while eliminating the usual hassles experienced by patients. Aside from metal braces, there are now ceramic braces that use less conspicuous materials to look more pleasant. On the other hand, there are clear aligners that happen to be highly popular nowadays. We at Pacific Sky Dental took advantage of Invisalign, a clear aligner brand, not because of the demand but since we believe in its potential.
What is Invisalign and How Does it Work?
Invisalign are clear aligners made from highly flexible thermoplastic materials fashioned to be worn over the teeth. This orthodontic procedure straightens the teeth using the trays that deliver a constant yet much-controlled pressure to the teeth. Instead of having the appliance adjusted, the patient would be the one to switch out trays as advised by the dentist.
To start, dental professionals would first require the patients to undergo an initial consultation to know if they are good candidates for Invisalign. If they are, impressions of the teeth are carefully taken, and a treatment plan will be formulated. Once records are ready, these will be sent to an off-site laboratory that would create the aligners.
As soon as the aligners are fabricated, the dentist would ask the patient to schedule another appointment for the fitting and to give the trays. At this point, instructions and tips will be provided. For Invisalign to work, the commitment and cooperation of the patient are vital.
- Trays should be utilized for at least 20 to 22 hours a day, but this goes double on the day that a new aligner is worn.
- Instead of scheduling frequent visits, dentists will provide a schedule on when to replace the trays. Patients should keep this in mind to avoid delaying the procedure.
- When replacing the aligners, proper set and sequence should be followed to prevent unnecessary discomfort.
- Aligners should be removed when eating and drinking (other than water) since they are not designed to withstand chewing and resist stain.
- Both the teeth and the device should be cleaned after every meal and before popping the aligners back on. Oral hygiene is essential to avoid any threat that can put the treatment outcome and oral health at risk.
- Routine visits should be maintained for the dentist to keep track of the treatment progress and to provide additional trays when necessary.
Bring out your best smile with Invisalign in Daly City, CA, book your appointments with Pacific Sky Dental! Call us to experience an outstanding treatment in making your teeth straighter, beautiful and healthy!
Posted on behalf of Dr. Raymond Jone, Pacific Sky Dental